Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sesame Noodle Salad





My main foodie purpose these days with a 5 month old, as I have said before, is to build up a repertoire of meals I can make quickly or in advance. I've tried to allow myself to just cave in and buy some canned soup or jarred sauce...but I get to the store and absolutely nothing looks appealing to me. At all. It seems I've come so far over the other side that there is no turning back! Alas, this means several frustrating moments every week with a recipe half competed, my hands full of garlic, the oven on high and a crying baby at my feet. Balance. I must get some.

Speaking of balance, this delightful noodle salad dish definitely has it. It's Salty, sour, sweet and spicy. It's make-ahead. It's easy. This recipe totally rocks! This recipe has been adapted from one of my favourite blogs, eatliverun.com. If you get a chance, check out Jenna's adventures!

I opted to use some julienne carrots in my recipe, but the original calls for snow peas. You could definitely use almost any raw vegetable that you like. Also, I used WW Spaghetti, but Soba or Buckwheat noodles would be amazing.

Sesame Noodle Salad

1/2 pack whole wheat spaghetti
1 carrot, julienne, preferably with a mandolin
3 green onions, sliced
2 tbsp sesame seeds

Sauce (*This makes at least twice as much as you need, put it in the fridge! Makes a great salad dressing or stir fry sauce.)

3/4 cup Tahini
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup soya sauce
1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
1 tbsp fresh minced garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp Sriracha (or more if you like it spicy!)

1. Cook your noodles, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
2. Mix all sauce ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Add a little more water if you want the sauce thinned out a bit.
3. Add your prepared veggies to the noodles.
4. Pour about 1/2 the sauce over your noodles. Mix well.
5. Top with sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment